Lessons I've Learnt in 2 Years Running Jelly Ko
On this episode of the Korean Beauty Show podcast Lauren shares 5 lessons she's learnt running Jelly Ko for the past two years. From celebrating the wins to not letting negative feedback get you down to how the brand went about launching offline in the US.
CONNECT WITH ME
My Instagram: www.instagram.com/lauren.kbeauty
Shop Kbeauty: www.stylestory.com.au
Style Story’s Instagram: www.instagram.com/stylestory_kbeauty
Jelly Ko’s Instagram: www.instagram.com/jellyko_official
Sign Up to Our Mailing List to Join Tester's Club: https://stylestory.com.au/pages/free-gift-signup
Episode Summary - Lessons I've Learnt in 2 Years Running Jelly Ko
Lesson 1: Go With Your Gut
- We started the brand because all the signs were pointing to it being the right time.
- Over the years we had been heartbroken by so many of our favourite products going out of production or the formula changing and then the new product wasn’t the same as the previous one
- We really wanted to create a product that we absolutely loved using that wouldn’t change.
- In Korea, everyone is obsessed with newness, but growing up in Australia I have always loved trying a few new things but having staples I can fall back and rely on.
View this post on Instagram
2: Work With People You Like
- We already knew and had worked with a lot of different manufacturers over the years in Korea.
- However, we wanted to work with people who we enjoyed working with and who made good quality products; not some of the bigger manufacturers who made our lives super stressful and miserable and didn’t respect us
- Same for the boxes - we went with the company that went out of our way to help us every time we worked with them and delivered a high quality product
Lesson 3: Celebrate the Wins Because They Don’t Happen Every Day
- We were so shocked by the level of interest when we first launched
- We were featured in news.com.au, Body & Soul, Cosmetics Design Asia
- Bubble Tea Steam Cream sold out 3 times on launch
- But not every day has been easy and sometimes it can be hard to remember why you started
4: Not Everyone Will Like It, But That’s Okay
- The product was a hit with customers from day 1 but that didn't mean it was all smooth sailing.
- We had some complaints in the beginning from bloggers we gifted products to who made really blunt and hurtful comments. Sometimes people don't realize that there are real people behind the brands and that they have put their blood, sweat and tears into a product.
We've also discovered that people tend to value things less when they haven’t paid for them.
- Thankfully though most people who tried the product not only loved it, they came back for a second jar.
- Jelly Ko is one of the products on our site with the highest repurchase rate - hovers between 70-80%
Lesson 5: Distribution is Really Important for a Small Brand
- Launched on Verishop in the States in 2021
- Launched on Woolworths in March
- We are about to launch offline in the States
- This is a huge milestone and something we have been working on since last year
- We have been in negotiations since 2021 and finally secured confirmation and an opening order this week.
What To Do If You Liked Today's Episode - Lessons I've Learnt in 2 Years Running Jelly Ko:
STYLE STORY - Your Go To for Kbeauty