Episode Title:Should I Invest In An At-Home LED Mask?
On today's episode of the Korean Beauty Show podcast Lauren discusses d'Alba Piedmont's White Truffle Spray Serum topping the charts on Hwahae. Plus why some products get reviewed more than others on the app.
She reveals which Korean cosmetic companies are making moves to reduce plastic consumption. Plus why the MFDS is taking another look at the Functional Cosmetics Act. Lauren also answers a listener's question about whether to invest in an at-home LED mask.
CONNECT WITH ME
My Instagram: www.instagram.com/lauren.kbeauty
Shop Kbeauty: www.stylestory.com.au
Style Story’s Instagram: www.instagram.com/stylestory_kbeauty
Jelly Ko’s Instagram: www.instagram.com/jellyko_official
Sign Up to Our Mailing List to Join Tester's Club: https://stylestory.com.au/pages/free-gift-signup
K-Beauty News Headlines
D'Alba Piedmont's White Truffle First Spray Serum Tops the Rankings
White Truffle First Spray Serum topped the ranking mist category of Korea's No. 1 beauty app "Hwawha" for five consecutive weeks.
- Hwahae is a beauty app that allows customs to rank, rate and review products, as well as shop for them.
- It has amassed over 6 million reviews for 250,000 products.
- Dalba's Mist Serum has recorded more than 15 million bottles of accumulated sales and 100,000 real reviews
Growing Calls To Revise Korea's Functional Cosmetics Act
- In Korea, the calls to revise the Functional Cosmetics Act are growing
- Companies are complaining about the need for multiple levels of regulatory checks and efforts to prove the effectiveness of a product before it is bought to the market, which increases costs
- Korea's MFDS has launched a Consultation Group to discuss regulatory innovation in the cosmetics sector with a guide to removing unnecessary regulation
- Currently, functional cosmetics include whitening, wrinkle improvement, UV protection, hair dye, hair removal agent, hair loss relief, acne relief, relief of dermatitis, stretch marks, bleach etc.
- The system was originally set up to act as a barrier to foreign products entering the market.
- Nowadays, the system is inconveniencing local companies because they have to have their products pass through multiple levels of tests to verify their efficacy. The companies argue that this places an undue burden on them.
- This is contrast to other countries like the US, where the government dictates that ingredients must be "safe" but a cosmetic product's efficacy is largely left for the market to decide.
Korean Cosmetics Companies Moving to Reduce Korea’s Plastic Waste Consumption
- The amount of plastic used by Koreans is the highest in the world after Belgium (Euromap survey, 2020).
- Cosmetics companies are increasingly looking for ways to reduce plastic.
- Kolmar Holdings Korea is commercializing cosmetics containers based on recycled materials. The goal is to replace 50% of the cosmetics tubes produced by Kolmar with eco-friendly materials by 2030, and to increase the supply of eco-friendly packaging containers to global cosmetics companies.
- Cosmecca Korea has also announced its intention to develop eco-friendly containers that can be biodegradable.
- Another local company, Refilli is also working in the space for cosmetics and household goods
Question of the Week - Should I invest in an at-home LED mask?
- LED ("light-emitting diode") therapy was developed by NASA to boost astronauts’ wound healing.
- The technology has since been used in hospitals for chemotherapy and radiation among cancer patients and for cosmetic purposes, including targeting sun damage, hyperpigmentation, scarring, wrinkles, acne etc
Blue light is typically used for acne because it targets the bacteria; whereas red light can improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- LED machines are regularly used at the end of of a cosmetic treatment here in Korea but very rarely as the entire treatment itself. This tells you pretty much everything you need to know about them. Plus, the ones used in clinic are entirely different than the ones you would be using at home. In addition, the costs run into the tens of thousands of dollars.
- When it comes to the at home devices, some need to be used for 30 to 60 minutes, twice a day for months to see results.
- There’s none of the same data behind these products as the machines used in-office because they’re rarely tested
- Safety vs efficacy - just because they are SAFE to use doesn’t mean they do anything…
- Finally, I think it’s largely a cash grab and would avoid
New Korean Beauty Products on STYLE STORY
- Dr Ceuracle Vegan Kombucha Tea Essence
- The unique formula uses Kombucha to strengthen the skin, along with green tea leaf water which is full of nutrients.
- Kombucha Tea Extract (20%) is ideal for all skin types because it has abundant probiotics. Further, it contains vitamin B to help strength the skin's immunity.
- Camellia Sinensis Leaf Water (58.9%) has various nutrition, such as vitamins, tannin, amino acids, and proteins
Dr Ceuracle Vegan Kombucha Tea Gel Cream (75g)
- A lightweight gel cream formulated with Tea Complex, detoxifying impurities and filling up hydration.
- The same key ingredients as the essence.
New K-Beauty Reviews on STYLE STORY
- "The best skin toner I have ever used
- I am so impressed with the consistency, smell, and most importantly how it makes my skin feels. It is a must have and quickly get used up in the house. Very happy to recommend."
- "Does the job!
- Very easy to make. You just mix satchet 1 and satchet 2 together. The product doesn't come with a bowl but it does have 4 sets of the mask: satchet 1, satchet 2 and even a small wooden stick! I did not expect the stick and was pleasantly surprised.
- The mask has a cooling effect when you put it on. No burning sensation. It was a really nice feeling. After 20 minutes, I peeled the mask off. Next time, I'll make my mask layer a bit thicker and more consistently across so it can come off in one piece. Remember to massage in the essence as well after you peel the mask off! My skin feels really hydrating afterwards."
- "Second time purchasing this product and I absolutely love it. Glides on easily and keeps my face hydrated all night. Works as a great base for makeup during the day. Absolutely love 💕"
- "Beautiful on my dry skin and for cleansing
- This beautiful balm is amazing ! I used it on a dry patch of skin that I had and just left it on overnight and the dry patch disappeared! I find that it also cleanses the skin so beautifully that I don’t need to double cleanse , this is a definite re purchase for me."
My go-to K Beauty podcast!by Alysse C on July 5, 2022
- "Love tuning in for Lauren’s insights every week; I’m always learning something new. Super informative and entertaining, great variety of content; definitely recommend!"
Recommendation of the Week
- The Night Markets along Seoul's Han River are back from 26 August to 24 September
- There'll be 39 food trucks and a bunch of vendors selling handicraft products etc.
- This is a great time of the year to visit Seoul generally because there's always a lot going on down by the river when the weather eases
STYLE STORY - Your Go-To for Kbeauty