On this episode of the Korean Beauty Show podcast, Lauren talks through the new “Healthy Pleasure trend taking over Korea and what it means for beauty. Plus, what are the differences in makeup consumption between Koreans, Americans and Japanese and what’s the best way to use a hydrogel eye mask in your skincare routine?
CONNECT WITH ME
My Instagram: www.instagram.com/lauren.kbeauty
Shop Kbeauty: www.stylestory.com.au
Style Story’s Instagram: www.instagram.com/stylestory_kbeauty
Jelly Ko’s Instagram: www.instagram.com/jellyko_official
Sign Up to Our Mailing List to Join Tester's Club: https://stylestory.com.au/pages/free-gift-signup
“Healthy Pleasure” Trend Taking Over in Korea
- The "Healthy Pleasure" trend is taking off among the MZ generation
- We're seeing everything from "zero products" to low calorie foods and an interest in ingredients in skincare.
- Unlike "Guilty Pleasures" that you need to feel bad about indulging in, "Healthy Pleasures" are all about indulging in something that's good for your health.
- In food, salads are catching on everywhere from convenience stores to speciality delivery restaurants. Meal prep is also getting big, as is the gluten free trend.
- Korean consumers' interest in pursuing health is now to their skin, where they are looking for products that are healthier for both their skin and the earth.
- But are these products necessarily better? Lauren discusses
Differences in Makeup Consumption Between Korea, America and Japan
- Open Survey has released the results of their analysis on the consumption of “colour cosmetics”
- In terms of base makeup alone:
- Cushions and pacts are mainly used in Korea (57.7% and 26.0% respectively), but they are rarely used in the United States and Japan.
- Instead, foundations, powders, and concealers were found to be popular in the United States (49.0%, 41.0%, and 39.9% respectively).
- Blusher, highlighter, shading, and bronzer rates were also high (35.1% and 28.2% respectively).
- In Japan, the rate of using makeup base, tone-up, BB, CC cream and foundation was remarkable (51.8%, 47.7%). This is likely because light base makeup such as "subtraction makeup" and "no makeup" has have recently become popular in Japan.
More Online Consumers Purchasing From Overseas
- According to statistics released by Forbes Advisor in February 2023, 57% of online consumers have directly purchased something from overseas.
- This means that the importance of "borders" in commerce is decreasing.
- More than half of consumers will turn to overseas markets if they cannot find the product they want in their region or country.
Question of the Week: How Should I Use a Hydrogel Eye Mask?
Our listener wrote in, asking:
"Hi! Wondering when the best time to use an eye mask would be since it is like a 20-30 min wait. Can I put it on after moisturizer?"
Hydrogel eye masks are best applied after toner / essence and before serum
- While you wait the 20-30 minutes for the mask to go to work you can either wait to apply your other skincare products or, if your skin is really dry, just apply them around the rest of your face (not covered by the eye masks).
If you’re not already signed up to STYLE STORY’s newsletter list make sure you get on it because we will have a special offer for our subscribers for Dewy Glaze Toner’s first birthday coming up soon
- This set contains four flavours of Laneige's bestselling sleeping mask (Berry, Apple Lime, Mint Choco and Grapefruit)
- Lip Sleeping Mask is a bestseller in Korea for good reason. With a luscious formula, this lip mask warms to the touch and delivers deep hydration to repair and nourish lips.
- 1% of the profits from the sale of this product will go towards our pledge to 1% For The Planet. Share your love of beauty with the planet every time you shop at STYLE STORY
We currently have a Buy One Get One Free offer on Subi Brightening Powder Cleanser so get in now and get two for the price of one for a limited time only
NEW K-BEAUTY REVIEWS ON STYLE STORY
"Love this toner, leaves the skin refreshed, clean and balanced. My favourite Style Story Toner"
I like this cream ..it make my skin look perfect"
"A gentle cleanser which I use as my second cleanse. Leaves skin feeling great, not dry. A style story favourite :)"
Recommendation of the Week
Stay tuned for cherry blossom spam