Skin Cycling in Korean Beauty
On today's episode Lauren explores the concept of skin cycling in Korean Beauty and what Koreans tend to do instead of alternating between harsh acids. She chats through some must-see K-drama and Korean films for the end of the year as well as the rise of K-Beauty in Germany.
K-Beauty News Headlines
New Comedy in Korean film about K-Beauty - Men of Plastic
- Men of Plastic is a new Korean comedy about how the K-beauty business began in Apgujeong in Seoul
- The district in Gangnam is one of South Korea's most affluent areas and home to numerous plastic surgery hospitals and skin care clinics.
- The film is directed by Lim Jin-soon and recounts the fictional story of Dae-kook, who was born and raised in Apgujeong in Seoul
- Dae-kook meets Ji-woo, a talented plastic surgeon in the area who lost his license to practice
- Dae-kook convinces Ji-woo to jointly start a business with him, saying they can lead the global expansion of Apgujeong's plastic surgery business.
Sales of Korean cosmetics in Germany are rapidly growing
- According to the GTA, Korea's exports of cosmetics to German yin 2021 amounted to $22.856 million, up 63.7% from the previous year.
- Previously dark eye makeup was popular in Germany but current trend are towards natural makeup, which is also trending in Korea.
- In addition, lip stain products similar to Korean lip tints and products similar to Korean cushion foundation products have been increasing in popularity.
- The perceived strengths of K-cosmetics are seen to be high cost-effectiveness and innovative ideas at affordable prices compared.
- Popular trending Kbeauty products include lip tints and stick-type sunscreens.
- K-pop and K-drama is also trending in Germany, which is having a significant impact on K-cosmetic sales.
- The three most popular ingredient trends in Germany are Hyaluronic acid (22%), Vitamin C (16%) and retinol (15%).
Question of the Week: Is Skin Cycling a Thing in Korean Beauty?
The concept of skin cycling hasn't really caught on in Korea mainly because we don’t tend to use strong enough ingredients to warrant "cycling" through various products. The closest would be the kind of products people turn to after receiving a laser or treatment in clinic. They tend to be much gentler, (재생크림) - popular brands for that tend to be the clinical ones like Corthe, Zeroid, Rejuran, Aestura.
In my opinion, they are much better than similar western products like Cicaplast or Cicalfate.
On the cheaper end of the market you have products like Illiyoon, Soon Jung line and Dr Jart, although in my personal opinion Dr Jart is not a great option for post-laser skin because of the ingredients in it.
New K-Beauty Products at STYLE STORY
- This spot treatment is specially formulated to gently treat blemishes without drying out the skin around the spot.
- It is suitable for all skin types
- The light gel is also infused with hydrating Ceramide capsules to help restore the skin barrier.
- This exfoliating style toner effectively clears out bacteria and pollution to reduce dead skin, irritation and help prevent blemishes.
- It is a BHA toner with 0.5% BHA to gently exfoliate the skin through chemical exfoliation.
- The new and improved formula now includes a higher amount of AHA and PHA for gentle chemical exfoliation as well as a higher amount of Centella Asiatica for an increased soothing effect.
- Vegan & cruelty-free
- This Gel Mask is a calming, soothing face mask with 2% niacinamide and centella asiatica for brightening and soothing.
- Unlike many existing wash off packs, it is specifically formulated for sensitive and inflamed skin.
- Firstly, fig extract provides abundant hydration and prevent Trans Epidermal Water Loss (TEWL). Secondly, it helps protect the upper layer of the skin. This is essential for soothing skin. In addition, it can help irritated skin.
- Vegan & cruelty-free
- This is a two in one cream product that's perfect for combination skin because it has two moisturizers in one jar.
- On one side, it contains a blue gel-type cream that's perfect for your oily T-zone. On the other side it contains a thicker, cream-based moisturiser that's ideal for your dryer U-zone.
New Kbeauty Reviews
"Overall, this was a totally positive experience. I have used the Secret Key treatment before, but didn't stick with it long enough to see visible results. This time though, l have been using morning & night & am seeing a visible brightening & younger looking appearance to my skin. Very impressed with this essence & will definitely repurchase as neccessary. Definitely 5 star product!!!"
"At first impression, I thought this was going to have a strong fragrance smell to it but I was surprised to notice that it didn't. I have terrible acne + dry dry dry skin and this product worked wonders! it left my skin feeling soft, and not flaking like some other facial scrubs. I've been using this product, twice a week, for 3 weeks and I've seen a change in my hyperpigmentation!"
Recommendation of the Week - Under the Queen’s Umbrella
Under the Queen's Umbrella is a new historical K-Drama currently airing on Netflix. It stars Kim Hye-soo as Queen Im Hwa-ryeong and Kim Hae-sook as the Queen Dowager
- Set in the Joseon Dynasty, it revolves around Queen Hwa-ryeong and how she is willing to sacrifice everything to ensure that her sons get the education they need.
- It has been compared to "Sky Castle" in the Joseon Dynasty.
- The cinematography and costumes are particularly beautiful
STYLE STORY - Your Go To for Kbeauty Since 2014