Korean Body Care
Episode Title:Korean Body Care - Episode 108 of the Korean Beauty Show Podcast
Korean body care products don’t get as much air time as face products. On today’s episode, Lauren discusses why that is, some of the key differences between western body care and Korean body care as well as the importance of Jjimjilbang (sauna) culture in Korea.
In general, Korean body care products don't get as much air time as face products because they’re not as widely available overseas. Having said that, there are some key differences between how Koreans care for their bodies versus western skincare. Let's take a look at what those are, the top trending body care products in Korea and some you can get your hands on!
Jjimjilbang (Korean Spa / Sauna)
The jjimjilbang is one of the key differences between Korean body care and other cultures. It is a really important part of Korean culture. Back in the days before people had baths and showers at home, people used to bathe at communal bath houses.
In Korea, bathhouses have hot tubs, showers, saunas, massage tables and other unisex areas with heated floors for lounging, sleeping and watching TV. Staying at a jjimjilbangs is a great experience if you are visiting Korea and also a good way to save on accommodation as most of them are open 24 hours a day.
Inside the spa, there is a whole culture around bathing, as well as jjimjilbang clothes (usually a T-shirt and shorts).
You'll be given your own locker to store your valuables so that you can enjoy the spa to its fullest.
There are lots of different foods to try while you're there as well including
- Sikhye (식혜), a sweet rice beverage.
- Baked eggs (맥반석 계란) that have been slow-coked in the hottest saunt,
Patbingsu (팥빙수), a shaved ice dessert with red beans.
Where To Visit Jjimjilbang in Korea
- Spa Land in Busan
- Dragon Hill in Yongsan
Korean Body Soaps and Lotions
- At the moment, popular brands available at offline stores in Korea include Aveeno, Cetaphil, Geo-mar, Dr bronners , Senca and QV.
- JJ Young Body Soap is a great option for oily skin that can be used on your hair, face and body.
Another versatile product for both face and body is SOME BY MI AHA BHA PHA Real Cica 92% Cool Calming Soothing Gel. This works to clear the skin of congestion because it contains a combination of AHAs, BHAs, PHAs and Cica. Triple hyaluronic acid provides rich moisture to the skin.
Korean Body Exfoliators
- Koreans use a variety of different body exfoliators, including peeling gels. These are gommage exfoliants that clear the skin with fruit extracts.
Other popular products include peeling pad type products like COSRX One Step Original Clear Pads.These contain star beauty ingredients likeBetaine Salicylate to unclog pores and dissolve deep-set oil. Pads are fine to use on the body, particularly chest and back for breakouts.
Korean Body Mists
- There are lots of different types of body mist products on the Korean beauty market, including some for hydrating and others for oilier skin types.
- APLB Centella Complex Mistis formulated for the face and body, and is perfect for keeping breakouts at bad wherever they crop up.
Korean Foot Care Products
- When it comes to foot care, Kbeauty also has a range of different types of products, both of the peeling and hydrating varieties.
- There are also foot patches that claim to remove toxins from the body. Whether they actually do this is debatable.
APLB Intensive Moisture Healing Foot Cream is a great product for sloughing away dead skin. It combines the powers of Glycolic Acid, Lactic Acid and Salicylic Acid to remove dead skin and reveal the baby-soft stuff hiding underneath! As a bonus, it can also be applied to the knees, feet or any part of the body where dryness and flakiness occurs.
Korean Hand Care
Korean hbeauty has a lot of different options for hand care as well, including hand masks, finger masks and hand creams.
Dr Jart Ceramidin Hand Cream(100ml) keeps your hands moisturised and provides nail care without leaving behind any stickiness. The ceramide-enriched formula keeps dry skin hydrated while also strengthening the skin.
Hydrating Korean Body Care Products
- In Korea, illiyoon, Happy Bath and On the Body are all popular cheap options. The road shop brands also have versions of lotions too - The Face Shop, Nature Republic etc
Try Innisfree Aloe Revital Soothing Gel(300ml).This can be used on both face and body and is formulated with Jeju aloe extract, which hydrates tired-looking skin. The formula also contains Madecassoside, which is ideal for strengthening the skin's barrier.
STYLE STORY - Your Go-To for KBeauty