THE KOREAN SKINCARE ROUTINE
“What Skincare Routine Should I Follow?”
This is a great question and one we get asked at STYLE STORY a lot, along with recommendations for “the best” moisturiser, “the best” cleanser, “the best” BB Cream and …. well, you get the drift.
The trouble is, there’s no one “best” anything that suits everyone. This is because people have different skin types and skin issues.
Today, we’re taking a look at one popular new way to care for skin – the Korean skincare routine.
THE “BEST” SKINCARE ROUTINE
In reality, the best skincare routine for you is the one that gives you the best results for your own skin. For some of us, that might be a quick wash and dry in the morning. For others, it can even be as intricate as the Korean 12 Step Skincare Routine (more on that in a minute!)
The point is, there is no one skincare routine.
In general however, for most of us “mere mortals” (and especially for those of us whose skin ain’t as young as it used to be..!), the more effort you put into caring for your skin, the better the benefits you’ll see.
THE MINIMALIST SKINCARE ROUTINE
At a bare minimum, we recommend:
2 Toning, and
twice a day for both men and women.
THE DELUXE SKINCARE ROUTINE
If you are after a good, solid skin routine that will set your skin up for life, then we recommend the following:
1. Cleanse – use a gentle cleanser to remove dirt without stripping the skin of essential oils.
2. Tone – reset your skin’s pH balance and prep it to receive the next step of skincare.
3. Essence – enhance the skin’s cellular renewal process, increasing its firmness, elasticity, softness, tone and brightness.
4. Moisturise – hydrate and protect the skin from the external environment.
As your skin does most of its healing and renewal at night, it is important to layer your skincare products to ensure your skin is adequately hydrated. In general, night skincare products are heavier than their day-counterparts.
1. Double Cleanse – this step is quintessentially Korean. It is designed to get rid of the day’s makeup and any left-over impurities, for squeaky-clean skin. It involves two steps:
Cleanse Step 1 ) Use an oil-based cleanser to get rid of your makeup;
Cleanse Step 2) Follow up with a foaming cleanser to get rid of any leftover dirt and impurities.
2. Tone – moisturise and prep the skin for the next step of skincare.
3. Face Mask– another essential part of the Korean skincare regime. Face masks come in many different shapes and sizes (sheet masks, wash off masks, sleeping packs etc). They can be used nightly, but for the time poor can be applied whenever you have a spare 15 minutes!
4. Essence – enhance the skin’s cellular renewal process, increasing its firmness, elasticity, tone and brightness.
5. Serum / Ampoule – these products provide a concentrated, nutrient-enriched hit to your skin to address specific skin concerns or anti-ageing issues.
6. Eye Cream – a good eye cream prevents eye bags, dark circles and puffiness by providing hydration to your delicate under-eye area.
7. Night Cream – richer than a day cream, the cream you apply at night should be thicker to help lock in moisture and nutrients while you sleep.
CONFUSED? Don’t be!
The easiest way to find your best skincare routine is to simply try a few different ones out for size and see which fits you best. Whether it’s a Korean 12 Step or a simple, minimalist routine there is no one-size-fits-all approach.
So then, time to get testing! Pamper night, anyone?!
STYLE STORY – Your Style, Your Story