Glutathione in Skincare Products
When it comes to fighting the signs of aging, there are a range of beneficial ingredients.
Today, we’re taking a look at glutathione in skincare products to see how it works and who should use it.
WHAT IS GLUTATHIONE?
Glutathione is a powerful antioxidant that naturally occurs in the skin. It acts as a free radical scavenger and detoxifying agent, defending skin against the visible effects of environmental damage. The natural decline of glutathione in the body is believed to be a key marker of many outward signs of aging.
It is made up of three different amino acids: glutamine, glycine, and cysteine. It is present in every cell in the body. We love it because it prevents and delays cell damage and death. Studies have shown that people who live well into their old age have high levels of glutathione.
There are a range of activities that can deplete our glutathione. Those include:
- Exposure to chemicals and pollution
- Drinking alcohol
- Taking Tylenol
WHY IS IT A GOOD INGREDIENT?
Glutathione is a great ingredient because it offers skin-restoring and brightening benefits.
The ingredient’s free-radical fighting benefits are the key. When free radicals accumulate, they cause cell damage which leads to wrinkles, inflammation, hyperpigmentation, and melasma. Glutathione can help decrease these age-related effects, by combating free radicals, as well as inflammation and an uneven skin tone.
It can be taken both orally and applied topically.
Studies have shown that it may affect skin pigmentation by inhibiting tyrosinase activity. It is effective in the most sun-exposed areas of the body, but some findings have shown that it is only effective on new pigments, rather than existing ones. It also needs to be taken consistently in order for it to work. Studies indicate that the results stop when glutathione use is discontinued.
IS IT SAFE?
Glutathione is considered to be a low-risk ingredient for skincare use and safe to use in skincare products.
WHAT RESULTS CAN YOU EXPECT
When using it day and night while also wearing sunscreen you can expect:
- A decrease in melanin
- An increase in the moisture content of the outer layer of the skin
- Assistance with wrinkles
- An improvement in the smoothness of the skin.
WHAT TO KNOW BEFORE USING IT
1 Make sure you wear sunscreen while using it
This results of the studies point to the importance of sun avoidance or sunscreen in any skin products designed to target pigmentation in to obtain the best results.
2 For the best results, combine glutathione products in your AM and PM routine
3 Combine topical application of glutathione with a glutathione supplement or IV drip
Intravenous glutathione injections at a skincare clinic are ideal, but if this sounds too daunting, try a glutathione supplement containing at least 500-1,000 milligrams a day.
BEST SKINCARE PRODUCTS WITH GLUTATHIONE
- Glutathione Hyaluronic Acid Essence (50ml) – This powerful anti-aging treatment is infused with one of Korea’s favourite ingredients for getting rid of uneven skin tone, glutathione.
- APLB Glutathione Ampoule Serum (50ml) – Packed with a veritable buffet of hard-hitting anti-aging ingredients, APLB’s unique blend of patented ingredients actively improves the clarity of your complexion
- Glutathione Brightening Tone Up Cream (70ml) – Designed especially for mornings, APLB Glutathione Brightening Tone Up Cream is perfect for dull, uneven skin tones. It gives your skin a totally natural glow up that’s perfect for those suffering from pigmented skin and large, wide pores.
Have you tried glutathione in skincare products? Let us know your thoughts in the comments!
STYLE STORY – Your Style, Your Story