BEST VITAMIN C SERUMS
Vitamin C – you know it’s good for you. But if you’ve only ever eaten it, it’s time to discover the benefits of using it on your skin!
Here’s our guide to the best Vitamin C serums on the market that you can easily buy online.
Why use Vitamin C?
Vitamin C serums have long been one of the key steps in beauty routines. Thanks to their antioxidant rich, free-radical fighting properties they are a staple in many skincare routines around the world.
Benefits of Vitamin C Serums
Serums containing Vitamin C may help to:
- Increase moisture retention and hydration;
- Improve active breakouts;
- Assist damaged skin cells;
- Fight free radicals;
- Brighten dull skin;
- Target pigmentation and dark spots;
- Assist with sun damage and acne scarring; and
- Boost collagen production.
Stronger, plumper and more even toned skin? Sign us up.
How should I use Vitamin C?
As a general rule of thumb, serums are the best skincare delivery vehicle for Vitamin C. In terms of your skincare routine, serums come before moisturisers. Although Vitamin C can be used both morning and night, there are a few things to keep in mind to help get the most out of using your Vitamin C serum.
- When starting out, introduce Vitamin C to your routine slowly. Start off with twice a week maximum and build up to more regular use.
- If you use retinols at night, use your Vitamin C serum in the morning to avoid interaction.
- When using skincare acids (eg. AHAs, BHAs) or if have dry or sensitive skin, consider using Vitamin C at a different time of the day.
- For optimal use, store Vitamin C serums in the fridge to delay oxidisation. After opening, serums containing pure Vitamin C (L-Ascorbic Acid) begin oxidising after 3 months, reducing their effectiveness.
- The effectiveness of pure Vitamin C is pH dependent. If your skin’s pH is too high or low, this will make Vitamin C less effective. To avoid this, use Vitamin C directly after cleansing and wait 20-30 minutes before the next step in your skincare routine. If you’re looking to save time, use a pH adjusting toner right after cleansing.
Our favourite Vitamin C Serums
For a serum suitable for all skin types and ages, Tosowoong’s Spot Whitening Vita Clinic Ampoule Serum is a great way to introduce Vitamin C into your routine. This serum combines Vitamin C from multiple sources, with anti-aging peptides, antioxidants and more, making it ideal for minimising the effects of damage on the skin.
APLB’s Vitamin C Ampoule Serum is also perfect for more sensitive skin. It is made with pure L-Ascorbic Acid and brightening niacinamide and sea buckthorn to help to create a more vibrant complexion free from unevenness.
If you’ve got stubborn pigmentation and dark spots, Purito’s Pure Vitamin C Serum is a game changer! Combining 5% pure Vitamin C with Hyaluronic Acid and Adenosine, this cruelty-free serum promotes even skin tone. It also protects your skin from environmental damage.
For a fragrance-free option, SOME BY MI’s Galactomyces Pure Vitamin C Glow Serum is one to consider. It helps exfoliate dull and even skin tone and firm up skin for long-lasting lustre. Not only does this product improve skin texture, it can reduce dryness and flaking by up to 85.94% after use.
However, thanks to its unstable profile, pure L-Ascorbic Acid is not for everyone. If you’re looking to avoid the issues with oxidisation with pure Vitamin C, then try Neogen Real Vita C Serum. This serum is made with Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate (SAP), a stable form of Vitamin C that produces collagen synthesis and protects skin from oxidative damage. Unlike L-Ascorbic Acid, it is more stable when exposed to light and air, meaning your serum will last for longer.
For an option featuring Vitamin C from fruit, try SOME BY MI’s Yuja Serum. Formulated with Korean Yuja extract and niacinamide for brightening, glutathione to lighten dark spots and prevent melanin pigment production, it restores dull and stressed skin.
What’s your pick for the best Vitamin C serum? Let us know in the comments!