Best Moisturisers for Oily Skin
If you’ve got oily skin, you probably don’t need to bother with moisturising, right?
Let’s bust this often-believed skincare myth and take a look at some of the best moisturisers for oily skin
What Causes Oily Skin?
Oily skin is caused by the body producing too much sebum. This can be due to a wide range of factors, including weather, hormones, diet etc.
If you’ve got oily skin, chances are one of the last things on your mind is adding more oil to it.
But in fact, trying to make your skin as dry as possible isn’t the way to go. Dehydration for any skin type is bad, but for oily skin, dehydration often leads to…even MORE sebum production. This is because you skin works overtime to try to correct the imbalance, leading to more oil.
Why Oily Skin Still Needs Moisture
A moisturiser is not just as simple as adding moisture. The true purpose of moisturisers is to hydrate your skin to the optimal level for you. Whether your skin is dry or oily, acne-prone or a combination of both, moisturiser should still have a place in your routine.
The trick is to find the right moisturiser for you.
Which Moisturisers Work Best for Oily Skin?
As a general rule, lighter weight and water-based or gel textures work better for oily skin. The lighter the moisturiser, the easier it is to be absorbed, which minimises the likelihood of excess shine or oil production.
Keep an eye out for key ingredients that help in the fight against excess sebum. Some of our favourites include:
- Snail mucin, which is chock-full of soothing ingredients that can work some serious magic on oily skin.
- Green tea, which is antioxidant-enriched and perfect for oily skin as it can help reduce inflammation.
Our Favourite Moisturisers for Oily Skin
If you live in a city or have skin irritation or damage due to pollution and sunlight
- APLB’s Healing Moisture Snail Cream is a great start. Not only does it boost your skin’s barrier, it also helps balance oily skin. This moisturiser combines black snail secretion filtrate with Centella Asiatica and Beta Glucan, leaving skin hydrated, fresh and comfortable.
For an antioxidant hit
- Innisfree’s Green Tea Seed Cream blends green tea extract from Jeju Island and green tea seed oil. This helps to create an antioxidant rich moisture hit that provides the appropriate level of hydration for oily skin.
For glass skin
- Jelly Ko Bubble Tea Steam Cream guarantees bouncy, jelly skin. It contains ingredients that are great for oily, acne prone skin and won’t clog the pores.
If you’re looking for a water-based, gel textured moisturiser
- Commleaf’s Skin Relief Moisture Cream is a great solution. With EWG Clean Beauty creds and zero hazardous materials, this 100% cruelty-free moisturiser soothes skin and leaves it cool, calm and collected.
For an anti-aging solution that won’t weigh oily skin down
- Try d’Alba Piedmont’s No Sebum Repair Cream, which is packed full of peptides and similar in formulation to Drunk Elephant’s Protini Cream.
What are the best moisturisers for oily skin that you’ve tried? Let us know in the comments.